Im not really sure where to start on this recipe. It by far is one of my favorite recipes for both fall and winter! The sweet potato puree brings an earthy sweet flavor and light texture making these rolls just the thing you need.
A few side notes
- Multigrain Bran can be replaced with rolled oats or cornmeal.
- This bread can be made into sandwich bread easily by putting the dough into a 9x5in silicone or nonstick loaf pan.
- For the perfect temperature of warm water mix half room temperature water and boiling water. This makes it perfect or activating yeast!
- For storage wrap the bread tightly or put them in a sealable plastic bag. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days or can be frozen for 1 month.
Oven temp 375F
Bake time: 40mins.
Makes: 10 rolls or 2 9inch baguettes.
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- cup + 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 package active dry yeast. (About 2 tsp)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour ( you can also use whole wheat or white whole wheat as a replacement) plus more for dusting.
- 1 15oz can sweet potato puree
- cup multigrain bran
- tsp salt.
- cup unflavored plant milk of your choice.
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds
- 1 tsp flaxseeds
- Turn on your oven to 375F and line a sheet pan (913 inches) or similar sized baking dish with parchment paper.
- Soak both raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds in cup of the hot water for 20 minutes
- In a separate little bowl combine the rest of the warm water with the yeast and maple syrup. Let get frothy or for atleast 10 minutes. Set aside
- Drain your seeds and even pulse them in a food processor or my favorite Vitamix. Then put in a bowl with the flours, sweet potato puree, bran and salt. Knead the mixture until its dough.
**For food processor run on low speed for 2 minutes to knead the dough.
***For a stand mixer mix dough with dough hook on low speed for 2 minutes.
****For hands only kneading knead for atleast 4-5 minutes straight.
- Dust the bottom of a bowl with some flour and place dough in bowl. (if using a stand mixer just leave the dough in the bowl) Then cover the dough and set aside in a warm place letting it rise until double its size. (30-45mins. If doubled recipe let rest for 1hr) **I did end up kneading dough again since I did it by hand! *
- Once time is up divide dough whether into rolls (10) or in 2 loafs. Cover with damp cloth for 30 minutes. or until doubled in size.
- Being your plant milk to a boil. Then turn off the heat and add your flax meal and set aside for 10 minutes. Then pass it through a fine strainer and discard the solid remains. This creates a wash that you will use on your bread!
- In a separate little bowl combine your dry ingredients (poppy seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, and rolled oats)
- Brush your rolls or loafs with your flax wash then sprinkle the topping mixture on top of rolls or loafs.
Finally: Bake your bread for 40 minutes or until crispy golden brown.
**Picture of rolls done baking.